Monday, March 24, 2014

Becoming Me

Hola Amigos y Familia!

I've kind if been in Spanish mode the past few days. Especially after
an awesome Sacrament Meeting yesterday. Oh it was just amazing. Being
around Spanish speakers much more frequently, I've been getting better
at understanding Spanish, it's the speaking that gets me. But every
Sunday we and the Spanish elders go to the de la Cruz's from the
Branch. They speak Spanish and have 4 cute, young girls. She'll make
us spaghetti with some sort of Mexican entree like homemade taquitos
yesterday. Such a sweet family. I pulled up my El Libro de Mormon and
did my own little lesson on Helaman 5:12 building our lives on the
rock of Jesus Christ. And during church the former stake president(
and will be mission president in DR in July), Aman Corbett, gave a
powerful talk in Spanish about the Atonement.

A powerful lesson I have learned so far here is that God speaks to all
of His children the same way, no matter what language or background.
His language is that of love and the Spirit, and "The Lord go giveth
light unto he understanding...he speaks to men according to their
language, unto their understanding." (2 Nep. 31:3). I felt the Spirit
as He spoke to my heart and confirmed truths that were being spoken in
another language. With our Burmese families, the Meh's and the Reh's,
I know it will only be the Spirit testifying of truth and teaching
them that will help them progress. We found out this week that they
know each other! We saw the Reh's coming out of the Meh's after lunch
and getting into their car which was parked right in front of the
church...during church...soooo, explains why they weren't at church.
Ha, such sweet families though.

Mylta's brother passed away this past week and she has really been
struggling with that. Two appts fell through and she was crying
through the window to us. So right now we are praying for her and
giving her some space. But not giving up on her, she's just too good a
person. On Wednesday I went on exchanges with Elder Wilkes in my
district. He's a solid missionary with lots of enthusiasm and great
work ethic, but they are in a walking area that desperately needs a
car. They make do, but it's tough. So we worked on finding new people
to teach and found several potentials for them to stop by later. We
were taken out for lunch AND dinner that same day...loaded members
with generous hearts.

We had more iPad training that all the district leaders do to help the
missionaries understand how the iPads are meant to help us fulfill our
purpose as missionaries. We had a great discussion about finding
families and their is a wonderful Mormon Message you can look up
called "Families Can Be Together Forever" that talks about what we can
do to make our families eternal. I thought of my family and my future
family and how it all makes sense. God just wants us to be happy. The
gospel is how we do it, and families are what help make it happen and
where the happiness is shared. Love it. Love my family. And I know
that we can be an eternal family.

We are working hard to find and teach families. Elder Facuri and I get
along great as we sing and laugh and have fun. He's teaching me the
ukulele and how to cook spam..ha not really, Hawaiian joke. He just
needs a good amount of sleep...walking zombies don't work well as
companions. Personal experience. Trust me. He's patient with me and
really helping me find out who I am. He's helping me in a way, become
me. I can't help people if I'm not myself. Kind of a deeper
existential issue haha, but we all go through it in some way or
another. I want to help others do the same.
32 Nevertheless, ye shall not cast him out of your synagogues, or your
places of worship, for unto such shall ye continue to minister; for ye
know not but what they will return and repent, and come unto me with
full purpose of heart, and I shall heal them; and ye shall be the
means of bringing salvation unto them. (3 Nephi 18:32)

The Savior receives each of us with open arms, why shouldn't we do the same?

Love,

Elder Robins

No comments:

Post a Comment