Monday, January 5, 2015

A chill in my bones and a long stay at home

Hey Family and Friends!

So much for a good rhyme, that subject line was a stretch. But it's sticking, so get used to it. Elder Eldredge and I spent some time in Valley Forge National Park today and holy talito, I thought I was in Rexburg! It must have been -2 outside with wind chill...or I just forgot my beanie at home. Either way, it was a beautiful clear sunny day, but not pleasant for a stroll in the park. We drove around and saw the sites and spent time reading the signs and what not. It's interesting how the very park itself feels like sacred ground. No real battles were fought there, but   That terrible winter the continental Army spent in 1777 is what makes the Valley so significant. 

Last P-day was rough and I think I covered pretty well. I had started feeling a cold coming on last Saturday during MLC, then Sunday at church was just miserable. Monday I could barely think straight and I realized it wasn't just a cold but the flu. I don't remember ever getting it this bad. I had the chills and a fever and the whole nose thing going on, body aches like someone had mugged me with 2 tons of bricks, headaches, oh it was nothing short of miserable. And I'm not one to just sit still, so staying in all day Tuesday was rough business. But Elder and Sister Jones from the mission office gave us an A on our apt inspection then took us out to ice cream...which was soo good, but not for the whole sinus thing.

I wanted so badly to just teach! But we didn't want to plague anyone with death (aka being practically bed ridden). So I got a good amount of studying in while my body rested...as if it had run 3 back to back marathons. I just didn't understand how doing absolutely nothing could make me so incredibly exhausted. Well before I recognized that it was the flu (yes I did get my flu shot this year btw), we went to a members home Monday night for dinner and a lesson with his two high school boys and his non member wife, Shari. I felt so bad, my nose was dripping like Niagara Falls, I was making all these weird throat noises to keep myself from coughing and my mind was just out of it, and I wasn't even on flu drugs! But the Spirit carried me through the lesson and she just loves family history. She and brother Bradley were married about 3 years ago and she's been meeting with us for a few months now. She seems to love the Book of Mormon.

The members here are pretty awesome about bringing their friends to church and making those important invitations. I'd invite you all to do the same. I want to be the best member missionary I can be, fearless and loving. On Friday night we went to the Koch's house to teach Anastasia, the three of them are just the best of friends already. We barely had to facilitate it. So perfect. We were feeling a bit better Friday, then it hit Elder Eldredge Saturday and Sunday. So we missed church yesterday. But no we aren't going inactive. That would be dumb. Anastasia is doing well, loving church and the gospel. She too is a member referral from her friend in NY. 

The assistants, Elders Watt and Pitt came to our place weds afternoon for an exchange. I went with Elder Watt back to philly, the area I just came from actually. The AP's cover YSA which is the whole stake. So I taught a young man named Julius whom Elder Roberts and I were actually teaching back in September before we handed him off. Nice guy...just doesn't seem to get the gravity of the whole baptism thing. We don't just baptize to baptize. We don't just do it for fun or to get more members. We do it because it's the way home to God. And boy do I know that to be true. And props to Dallin for going across the world to share that same truth. My prayers are with you bud!

I also went on exchanges with Elder Skeen in Downingtown. It's on the western border of the mission. If we were to drive 20 minutes west we'd be in Lancaster. But even in Coatesville there are horse and buggy stalls in the local grocery store parking lots. Yay for Amish culture! He is a good Elder who actually served in Philippines for just under a year but was reassigned here after some medical complications. He's a bit bummed, but we're trying to help him see the grandeur of this mission, without being haughty or boastful of course. Just want him to enjoy his mission.

I've thought a lot, especially while being sick his week about whether or not I'm doing ALL  I can to cry repentance. To let others know this is the only way. "And now, my beloved son, notwithstanding their hardness, let us labor diligently; for if we should cease to labor, we should be brought under condemnation; for we have a labor to perform whilst in this tabernacle of clay, that we may conquer the enemy of all righteousness, and rest our souls in the kingdom of God.
Moroni 9:6

I want to be diligent and faithful in bringing others to the truth. I think the best indication of that is whether or not we actually have the constant companionship of the Holy Ghost. That alone, will give us hope for a day of peace and rest. And an eternal stay at home. 

Love you all,


Elder Robins (last email that I'll be the only one...that I know of!)

No comments:

Post a Comment