Monday, September 15, 2014

"Here are the Waters of Mormon"

Hi Everyone!

I hope this finds you all happy and well! Elder Roberts and I have had
a good time here and there are so many miracles happening as The Lord
pours out His Spirit on this area. I feel it just thinking of the
majestic temple going up in Center City right off vine St expressway.
When we contact people on the streets we'll often tell them about the
temple and why we build them. Then before parting, we'll introduce
ourselves and haha the funny thing is that every area since now I've
gotten called Elder Roberts because people either don't hear the
pronunciation, don't look at my name tag, don't care, or a
combination. But they can't get away with that now! They actually have
to say my real last name, which is hard for some. So I've just been
telling people to call us "erts" and "ins." Hopefully that clears some
confusion.

This weekend we had a powerful stake conference which was right after
a Mission Tour with Elder Wilford W. Andersen of the 70. So it's been
a crazy week and on top of that we had Agatha and Frances' baptisms
and an exchange or two in between. Gahh! But it's been great and I've
been spiritually fed. We went on exchanges on Tuesday and I was with
Elder Castro from Pocatello, ID. He's 4 weeks into the field so I did
the whole, "Hey Elder, how far away do you think that plane is?" When
I got into the field I said, oh about a mile or two. But he responded,
"good one! My trainer did that to me like my second day!" "You've only
got about 23 months, no worries!" Ha, mean I know. Pay it forward
right. A week or two ago I saw something green on the sidewalk then my
jaw dropped as I realized it was a $20!!! No one would just walk by a
20...but I picked it up, all proud of my miraculous find just to flip
it over and find that the back side was white...how cruel. I looked up
and saw the culprits and had a good laugh with them about it. Probably
put in on YouTube by now.

We stayed with the assistants Wednesday night and woke up before the
crack of Dawn to be at the church for mission leadership council. It
was a rather sacred experience having that more intimate time with a
church leader, where we could have some Q & A back and forth. We
learned a lot about Christlike leadership and again I was impressed
with the need to LOVE. It's not easy sometimes, easy to make
unnecessary judgements. I had the chance to accompany for 2 musical
numbers and play the organ for our session of the mission tour.

Elder Roberts took the ACT at Upper Darby high school on Saturday, fun
fact, Tina Fey graduated from that high school. Claim to fame. I
waited outside on a bench and attempted to study, but it turned into a
half study half nap...Stake conference adult session was later that
night. We were asked to train a little bit at a break out session of
the earlier priesthood leadership meeting. It was a great learning
experience for each of us.

I have felt bad that we have been having trouble keeping track of the
people we're working with. I'll tell you one thing though, there have
been a plethora of prepared people meeting us and others ready to
covenant with their Heavenly Father. One such man named Ruichuan met
with missionaries while at UCLA and has since read through almost the
entire Book of Mormon. He went to institute frequently there and
church weekly and has just a burning testimony of the truth. He's here
from Hong Kong going to school at U Penn. We met with him on Friday
and he shared some very real concerns with us. His wife had a negative
experience with some sisters in CA and has since gone pretty much
anti. They get in an argument even when we call him or when he came to
church. It's sad and people have their agency, but the last thing we
want to do is tear apart a marriage. So in a situation like that, we
can really only email him and hope that her heart is softened in time
and of course, pray.

At stake conference, I sat next to Frances and after the opening hymn
which was " You can make the Pathway Bright" he leans over to me and
says in his awesome west African accent, That was super awesome! He
was just smiling after happily singing the song in his very low
contrabass voice. Agatha was also just beaming with joy. And Stake
President Coe mentioned that in our Sunday session of stake conference
the chapter of Mosiah 18 was mentioned 3+ times. He welcomed all who
would be joining the fold soon, so I thought it was very fitting for
Frances and Agatha's special day. Oh how I love them they were so
prepared to make those covenants, Frances loves family history and has
been asking for a calling in it. They understand Christ's commission
to serve others.
8 "And it came to pass that he said unto them: Behold, here are the
waters of Mormon (for thus were they called) and now, as ye are
desirous to come into the fold of God, and to be called his people,
and are willing to bear one another’s burdens, that they may be
light;...and mourn with those that mourn; yea, and comfort those that
stand in need of comfort, and to stand as witnesses of God at all
times and in all things, and in all places that ye may be in, even
until death, that ye may be redeemed of God, and be numbered with
those of the first resurrection, that ye may have eternal life"
Mosiah 18:8-9

I know Frances and Agatha understand the truth. We have a loving
Heavenly Father who wants us all to return back to Him. They
understand that Christ and His restored gospel is the ONLY way this is
possible. Strait is the gate and narrow is the way which leads to
eternal life. I'm so happy that these two precious souls have taken
that step of faith onto the eternal path back to God. I was filled
with the Spirit as I baptized Agatha and hugged her and Frances as
they both said they felt good and clean and ready to serve. This work
is true.

Love you all,


Elder Jake Robins

No comments:

Post a Comment