Monday, October 6, 2014

I Don't Know What I'm Doing Here!

Hey family and friends and loved ones!

Can I just start by saying how much I loved General Conference! It's
my hope that all of my friends and family, members and non-members
will one day all accept and willingly live the restored gospel of
Jesus Christ. Just as Elder Bednar said, the reason we are so
relentless and avid about sharing the gospel with EVERYONE is because
of the fruits of the gospel that make us so happy that we just have to
share it, just like mom and the delicious new recipes from allrecipes
or what not, she wants to share it!

I don't even know where to start in talking about last week, so much
happened that it all seems like a blur. This past week was transfers
so we had 3 elders who stayed at our apt for the night on Tuesday. We
went on mini exchanges and along the way Eleder Wilkes and I invited
many people to General Conference. I wish I could help people see and
feel why it's so crucial to have and listen to and follow a living
prophet. After they left the next morning, We went on with our day.
When going to contact a potential in a certain area we walked straight
into a famous philly block party. Not being racist, but we were the
only two white guys on the entire street. There were probably close to
200 people barbecuing, smoking, drinking and having a good ol' time.
Needless to say, we felt very out of place. Got a few looks and wide
eyes. Pretty funny.

That night we got a call from Elders in Delaware telling us to call
one of their members who was in labor at Children's Hospital of
Philadelphia. So we called her and just by the tremor in her voice,
this young mom was anxious for sure. We found out on the phone that
she would have the baby in about 20 minutes and she wanted a blessing
because the baby would need heart surgery soon after. We were a solid
40 minutes away, but going by the Spirit, we decided to head up there.
She was already in the delivery room by the time our sprint to the
rescue ended. We met her husband Nolan, super nice, ex marine who was
dressed up in what looked like a spacesuit, getting ready for lift
off? I wanted to say...or birth I guess. We waited for a while and
talked to her mom Lori who shared her life story with us. It was in
these moments, hungry, tired, headache that I realized that these
experiences are shaping me to be a true disciple of Jesus Christ. Not
just for my mission, but for life.

As we placed our hands on her shaking head, I felt gratitude for the
Melchizedek Priesthood and the chance to be the hands of the Savior
for just a little bit. Yesterday, between conference sessions, we met
with the Wrigley's and our investigators Paye and Rachel, both from
Liberia. Paye had asked me before the lesson started when was the
soonest he could get baptized and become a full member of the church.
With a smile on my face, I told him that we had more to teach, but as
soon as he was ready. The lesson was powerful and their questions
about that very same priesthood and the Book of Mormon. It was so
exciting. After the session, Rachel informed us that during the
session she was getting almost non stop calls from family and friends
and texts telling her to stop doing what she's doing, that the Mormon
church is all wrong. She just expressed that all she wants to do is
follow God.

I think sometimes we feel like we don't know what we're doing here on
earth. Like Rachel, we may know what we hope for or want, but our path
may seem blocked or dark in front of us. We may feel to cry out, as I
recently have in my heart and mind as if to the Savior Himself, "I
don't know what I'm doing here!" He might lovingly respond, "Perfect.
That's just what I need!" Someone who will rely wholly upon Him. I
love Him. 26 "And we talk of Christ, we rejoice in Christ, we preach
of Christ, we prophesy of Christ, and we write according to our
prophecies, that our children may know to what source they may look
for a remission of their sins."
2 Nephi 25:26

I know Christ lives and we can trust His living prophets. We must if
we're to get through this.


Love,

Elder Jake Robins


Ps congrats Dallin!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment